What we do
Slow Food Illes Balears works to re-establish and recover the food logic that for centuries made up and enriched the environment and the gastronomic heritage of our islands.
We support an open model that can diversify the dominating economic system, appreciating and reinforcing the offer of the food sector, turning it into a real alternative to maintain local gastronomy as a part of our cultural identity and our sustainable development.
We work to guarantee increasing food sovereignty, as well as to preserve our landscape and environment. In this way, we support the agricultural sector, contributing to create a generational shift. We aim to facilitate an increase in the production of local, organic, artisan food products which guarantee the preservation of ecosystem balance, while contributing to the growth of a sustainable local economy, as we become aware of a growing demand for this type of activity and products.
For all these reasons, these are our aims: Couples Watches
- To promote good, clean and fair food products: local products, of high organoleptic value, at risk of disappearing; the result of a production system that defends food and agricultural biodiversity; and that provide fair pay and work conditions.
- To defend local agricultural biodiversity: to preserve heritage seeds, local plant varieties, local animal breeds and ancestral knowledge of the rural and marine environments.
- To preserve traditional and artisan food production protocols: establishing with producers a shared protocol regarding production techniques and quality standards, guaranteeing a viable future for these food products.
- To connect producers with final consumers, promoting the shortening of the supply chain.
- To connect local food communities as a network.
- To promote some of the local food products so they become part of the international Slow Food Ark of Taste catalogue.
- To carry out taste education projects. Tastings are an educational experience and a way to raise awareness.
- To carry out eco-literacy campaigns: children are an agent and a motor of change. They can be taught the principles of sustainability by means of school gardens, by learning about the path from seed to plate.
- To cooperate with other organizations, public institutions and associations in favour of local food sovereignty.
Within our projects, we approach these aims in such a way that they become a journey from the seed to the plate. This can be seen in campaigns such as the recovery of the Pebre Bord de Tap de Cortí (local paprika) or Fruiters d’un Temps (old varieties of local fruit trees).
This is our vision: